One of the greatest joys of our job is seeing our audiences transformed by a theatre performance. At some point in Roundabout’s 46-year history, you’ve likely experienced a play or musical that has inspired you. Roundabout has been fortunate to produce award-winning productions on Broadway for 20 years now. You may even recall our first Broadway production of Anna Christie at the Criterion Center in 1992.
In celebration of our 20th Anniversary on Broadway, we’re highlighting 8 special productions from our Archives that helped us grow to our position today as one of the nation’s most influential not-for-profits.
Book by Arthur Kopit
Music and Lyrics by Maury Yeston
Directed by David Leveaux
May 21, 2003 – December 14, 2003 (283 performances)
Performed at the Eugene O’Neill Theatre
Antonio Banderas, Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski, Mary Stuart Masterson, Chita Rivera, Nell Campbell, Deidre Goodwin, Mary Beth Peil, Saundra Santiago, Myra Lucretia Taylor, Anthony Colangelo, Rachel deBenedet, Rona Figueroa, Sara Gettelfinger, Kristin Marks, Linda Mugleston, Elena Shaddow, William Ullrich, Kathy Voytko
• Antonio Banderas’ Broadway debut
• First Maury Yeston production at Roundabout
• JaneKrakowski’s second Roundabout production and only Tony® Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical
• Two legendary actresses - Chita Rivera and Eartha Kitt - appeared in the role of Liliane La Fleur. Eartha was brought in to replace Chita and was Eartha’s final Broadway performance.
• First Musical for which Roundabout had to rent an outside theatre, which later led to the decision to purchase Studio 54 as a second home
• Winner of two Tony Awards, including Best Revival of a Musical
Nine and many of the other historic productions have helped Roundabout grow into the nation’s most influential not-for-profit theatre. Please consider making a gift today to help us create more inspiring productions for years to come.
Explore more of entire collection of our Broadway Highlights.
Broadway Highlights, Roundabout Archive, Special Events